Monsanto / GMO's / Protest
Yesterday, March 24, 2014, millions of people around the world protested the use of genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in foods. Their main focus was the corporation Monsanto.
Here is a map of the marches:
For more information about the safety of GMO's, here is a list of resources to start with:
- GMO Myths and Truths - A new updated edition. Scientists speak out to counter industry myths.
- GMO Science - A list of over 1200 studies, surveys, and analyses that suggest adverse impacts of genetically engineered crops, foods and related pesticides.
- No scientific consensus on GMO safety - A statement and signatories from ENSSER.
- State-of-the-Science on the Health Risks of GM Foods (pdf-933kb) - Well-referenced summary of current research.
- Scrambling and Gambling with the Genome - The process of genetic engineering is neither predictable nor reliable. Can you say 'Russian roulette'?.
- Unraveling the DNA Myth - The basic assumptions of genetic engineering are debunked by Dr. Barry Commoner.
- Risks of GM Food - Professor David Schubert of the Salk Institute offers insight and words of caution.
- A Deadly Epidemic and the Attempt to Hide its Link to Genetic Engineering - How this happened and why it didn't make the news.
- The Virus Hazard - Genetically engineering crops using genetic material from viruses has serious implications that are dismissed by industry and regulatory agencies.
- See Scientists Speak and Scientific Studies for more information on the safety of GMOs.
Source: March Against Monsanto, Say No to GMOs